Spaghetti with Pesto all Genovese
This is one of the most iconic pasta dishes. It is so versatile that it can be played with as well. You can change the nuts (almond, cashew or walnuts), change the herb (works really well with rocket or spinach), change the cheese (stronger or mild cheese) or no cheese if you want to keep it vegan. You can change the shape of pasta and also add green beans, asparagus or spinach to the dish. The most important thing with pesto is to keep it fun and experiment with it.
For the purists of you out there here is the traditional recipe for Pesto alla Genovese:
Fresh Basil 50g
Toasted Pine Nuts 55g
Grated Parmesan 30g
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 100ml
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Cut the basil and nuts very finely. Transfer to a pestle and mortar and add the remaining ingredients slowly and keep grinding until they produce a pesto paste.
Spaghetti with Pesto alla Genovese Cooking Method:
Now that you have your pesto either homemade or in a jar.
- Cook the pasta until al dente in boiling salted water. When the pasta is nearly cooked take some of pasta water with a mug and set aside.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and put it back into the pan.
- Add a few spoonful's of the pesto into the pasta and stir to coat.
- Add some of the pasta water and stir to make a creamy pesto sauce covering all the pasta.
- Serve you can add more cheese if you like or some additional Extra Virgin Olive Oil for taste.
Back to Easy Way to Prepare Great Dishes using Quality Products